Leadership Development Workshops 2020 -2021
The 2020- 21 programme of Leadership Development Workshops offers you and your staff the opportunity to hear from nationally significant speakers on topics of current interest and to network with colleagues.
Creativity and the Curriculum with Mary Myatt
The BASL Board are very pleased to have secured Mary Myatt to lead the second of this year's Leadership Workshops, incorporating the principles of ‘high challenge, low threat’ for which Mary is so well respected. The event will begin with a networking breakfast from 8am and the workshop will start at 8:30am.
Mary Myatt is an education adviser, writer and speaker. She trained as an RE teacher and has also taught English, history, maths and Latin. A former local authority adviser and inspector, she works in schools talking to pupils, teachers and leaders about learning, leadership and the curriculum. She maintains that there are no quick fixes and that great outcomes for pupils are not achieved through tick boxes. Mary’s books include Curriculum: Gallimaufry to Coherence, Hopeful Schools: building humane communities, High Challenge, Low Threat.
- Curriculum as an ongoing element of school development - 20 May 2020, 09.30 – 12.30pm
- Feedback from colleagues from previous sessions
- Creating the conditions for the long haul because there are no silver bullets
- Pace and progress for curriculum development over the long term
- What do we want our curriculum to look like in a year’s time, in three year’s time?
- Follow up session - Tuesday 29th June 2.30-3.30pm
Leadership Lessons with Colin Maclachlan
Colin Maclachlan, star of Channel Four's captivating reality TV drama SAS: Who Dares Wins and Channel 5’s 'Secrets of the SAS' is an operator with over 25 years of security and risk related experience. Having had both an exciting and varied career, Colin is an excellent speaker on a wide variety of topics including Resilience, Teamwork, Leadership, Risk, Motivation, Conflict Resolution, Change Management, Negotiation and Performance.
- Leadership Lessons - 30th April timing and delivery method tbc
Cultivating Presence with Maggie Farrar
Maggie has extensive experience of strategic leadership, leadership development, and the leadership of change in schools and localities. She h worked in senior leadership positions in schools and local authorities and she was a senior leader at the National College for School leadership for 10 years.
She is currently working on leadership development for self-improving, autonomous and complex school systems, the leadership of a creative and engaging curriculum, growing the next generation of leaders for 21st century schools, and building the capacity of schools and communities
Three sessions, based on the key note planned for the Autumn Conference, and will build on the x 3 sessions Maggie facilitated for a small group of BASL members in the early part of this Autumn Term.
The three sessions will focus on cultivating leadership presence and will explore the following:
- Cultivating Presence ( 1 ) - 15th June 4pm – 5pm
- What is presence and why does it matter?
- Reclaiming our attention and present moment awareness, cultivating balance and stability in the face of chaos
- Cultivating presence ( 2 ) - 29th June 4pm – 5pm
- Working with habits of mind and automatic pilot; wise decision making & investigating bias, assumptions and limited perception
- Renewing and sustaining our leadership - 13th July 4pm – 5pm
- (subject to change) BASL Members only
Each session will be followed up by a set of notes and a ‘ nudge’ Friday email with examples of follow up practices for you to pick up whenever feels right for you
Members: The first delegate is charged £10 + VAT, with additional delegates charged £50 + VAT
Non-members : £60 + VAT per delegate
To book, email us with the name (s) of the delegate(s) you wish to attend the workshop. A light breakfast will be provided for all delegates so please let us know of any dietary requirements when booking.
Request a speaker
If you have any recommendations of speakers you think might be of interest, please contact us.