The Cycle to Work scheme is a government initiative to encourage alternative travel and reduce our environmental impact.
It also means you can:
- spread the cost of getting a new bike
- save on Income Tax
- save on National Insurance
The windows for enrolling in the scheme are in April and September.
How to apply
- visit a Cyclescheme partner’s shop to choose your bike and any accessories - see the Cyclescheme website for a list of shops.
- apply online for your Cyclescheme Voucher on their website adding the BCC reference 151cbe and complete the Hire Agreement. You will need to enter your BCC SAP/payroll number.
- BCC will confirm eligibility and approve your request. No application will be approved until the scheme window has closed (see further details below).
- Cyclescheme will then invoice BCC for your bike package.
- once the invoice is paid, an e-voucher is sent to you and you can collect your bike.
- monthly payments are deducted from gross salary over 12 months.
- at the end of the hire period ownership of the equipment passes to Cyclescheme. They will contact you with 3 options to purchase the bike or return it.
The timescales for processing the applications are:
- applications can be submitted throughout April until the close of play on the 30th
- applications will be collated and processed within the first half of May
- bike vouchers will be issued once the applications have been processed (second half of May)
- the first monthly repayment will be taken from June (shown on June payslips)
- applications can be submitted throughout September until the close of play on the 30th
- applications will be collated and processed within the first half of October
- bike vouchers will be issued once the applications have been processed (second half of October)
- the first monthly repayment will be taken from November (shown on November payslips)
If you are paid by another payroll provider we are unable to process your application, therefore you cannot apply to the scheme through Buckinghamshire County Council (BCC). If you cease employment with BCC prior to finishing your payment period, the balance of the bike package will need to be repaid in full (see terms and conditions on Cyclescheme website).
Anyone signing into the scheme must note that it can take up to seven weeks to fully process their application (as noted above).