Multi Sensory Impairment
Multi Sensory Impairment Team
Pupils will be offered support from a teacher of Multi Sensory Impairment if they are already entitled to support from the Hearing Support Team and the Vision Impairment Team.
Support from a teacher of Multi Sensory Impairment will be offered to all children and young people who have both hearing and visual loss.
Support will be available to pupils with and without Educational Health Care Plans, in schools, at home and in pre-school settings.
We can provide support as needed, which may include:
- Support to parents / carers / settings / schools to help them understand the implications of having a dual sensory loss
- Support to develop pupil’s skills in communication and mobility
- Advise to support access to the environment and appropriate curriculum and promote use of residual hearing and vision
- Advice on specialist equipment and teaching strategies
- Liaison with other professionals and to facilitate multi agency working
- Advice on managing the learning environment
- Training for school staff, and other professionals
- Monitor and record progress through observation and assessments, providing written reports as necessary
- Attendance at visual and audiological appointments for support to families and to promote communication between agencies
- Access to Deaf Blind Guidance assessment
- Contributions to annual reviews, review meetings and multi professional meetings.
- Advice on Local Authority policy and current legislation