SEND Support

SEND Support

About SEND support and the Graduated Approach

SEN Support is the category of support for children/young people with SEN but without EHC Plans. It focuses the system on the result of the support provided to that individual child/young person, rather than how children/young people access support according to the category they fit into. It places emphasis on a Graduated Approach (assess, plan, do and review).

  • Assess – the child/young person’s difficulties must be assessed so that the right provision can be made. This should include asking parents/carers and/or the child/young person their views, talking to any professionals involved and looking at records and other information.
  • Plan – the education setting needs to agree, with your involvement, the outcomes that SEN Support is intended to achieve – in other words, how they will benefit for any support they receive. Everyone involved will have a say in deciding what support will be provided and when it should be reviewed.
  • Do – the education setting will put the planned support in place. The class teacher (or equivalent) remains responsible for working with the child/young person on a daily basis, but the SENCO and any other supporting staff will work closely to monitor the effectiveness of the support.
  • Review – At the agreed time the support should be reviewed to see if it having a positive effect, whether the outcomes have been, or are being, achieved and if or how any changes should be made.

SEN Support will be implemented and after a period the effectiveness of the provision/strategies will be reviewed. If adequate progress is made changes may be required to enable continued progress. If adequate progress is not made different provision/strategies will be planned, implemented and reviewed again (see the Assess Plan, Do, Review cycle pdf on the right).

Graduated approach - Principles and Processes
Graduated Approach - Intervention Guidance 
Graduated Approach - Transitions Toolkit
Ordinarily Available Provision

SEN Support plan

In Buckinghamshire we have developed an SEN Support Plan document for the purpose of identifying the SEN of children/young people, monitoring their progress towards desired outcomes and tracking resources utilised within the educational setting.

Many people will be familiar with IEPs (Individual Education Plans) or Provision Maps – this document contains the same type of information, but much more in addition. In Buckinghamshire we recommend that schools and other educational settings use this document for children/young people who have SEN which require targeted support over an extended period and/or require support from external specialists for example, specialist teacher, educational psychologist etcetera.

Buckinghamshire SEN Support Plan form

SEND Support Plan for children in the EYFS

High Needs Block Funding

It is expected that most children and young people will have their needs met within setting’s existing resources, however settings may request High Needs Block Funding (HNBF) for specific short term targeted interventions to support an individual’s SEN where support is required above the £6,000 delegated funding. HNBF will not be agreed in the first instance for any longer than two academic terms. Should an extension be required, evidence of impact to date must be submitted via ‘Assess, Plan, Do, Review’ processes.

Requests for an extension to HNBF must be accompanied by provider/school/setting/college evidence of how funding given to date has been used and the impact it has had for the outcomes of the individual. Information supporting how any extension to HNBF will be used must also be provided. The setting should demonstrate that they have taken purposeful, relevant and sustained action to meet the individuals SEN before making a request for additional funding. The setting must clearly detail what the request is for, the cost of this and how the interventions will be measured.

Form to request High Needs Block Funding

Complete and return the form above to request High Needs Block Funding for a pupil or student who does not have either a Statement or EHC Plan. Return it along with relevant documentation to:

Integrated SEND Service
Walton Street Offices
HP20 1UZ

When to request an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment

If you and the professionals who support your child believe s/he requires support which is over and above that ordinarily available from mainstream resources, a request may be made for an EHC Needs Assessment. The request will usually be made by your child’s education setting, but parents can make the request themselves.

The legal test for an EHC Needs Assessment is from section 36 of the Children and Families Act 2014

More about EHC plans

Role of the SENCO and EHCCO

Special Educational Needs Coordinators (SENCOs) work in educational settings and Education, Health and Care Coordinators (EHCCOs) support them. A parent/carer should always speak to the SENCO for help and guidance at first, as they work with the EHC Coordinators and can go to them for advice if needed.Learn more about these different roles and how they work.

The Autism Toolbox for parents and carers

Our Autism Toolbox brings together advice, local support, services and resources for parents and carers of autistic children.







Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good