Appropriate Body for Early Career Teachers
Appropriate Body for Early Career Teachers in Buckinghamshire
The Astra Teaching School Hub is the recommended Appropriate Body for Early Career Teachers (ECTs) in Buckinghamshire.
Information regarding Astra’s services and support provided can be viewed on the Astra hub website
Contact the Astra Teaching School Hub at: Telephone: 01494 787573, e-mail Address: email@example.com
Buckinghamshire Council Appropriate Body Services
Appropriate Body regulations prohibit an Appropriate Body from providing services to ECTs where:
- The Appropriate Body has awarded Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) to the ECT
- The ECT is placed at the lead school of the Appropriate Body
In Buckinghamshire, this therefore means that Astra Teaching School Hub can not function as the Appropriate Body for any ECTs who:
- have been awarded QTS by the Astra SCITT, or
- are placed at Dr Challoner’s Grammar School
Buckinghamshire Council will therefore act as the Appropriate Body for this small group of ECTs. We understand, however, that Buckinghamshire schools want and need a consistent ECT induction process for all ECTs, regardless of which organisation is providing their Appropriate Body services. Buckinghamshire Council therefore works collaboratively with the Astra Teaching School Hub to deliver the training for ECTs and mentors and will ensure that the experience for schools will be the same regardless of whether Astra or Buckinghamshire Council is the Appropriate Body for the ECT.
How will this happen in practice?
- Astra will act as the single point of contact for Headteachers wishing to procure Appropriate Body services and will be responsible for invoicing on behalf of Astra and Buckinghamshire Council
- Astra will confirm specific arrangements for each school. This will include determining which of Astra or Buckinghamshire Council will act as the Appropriate Body for specific ECTs.
- Astra and Buckinghamshire Council will work collaboratively to ensure staff can use the same systems and that the ECTs and mentors receive the same training, regardless of whether Astra or Buckinghamshire Council acts as the Appropriate Body.
- Where schools have ECTs across both Appropriate Bodies, Astra and Buckinghamshire Council may collaborate with regard to the Appropriate Body duty of:
- Monitoring of Support - checking that ECTs are receiving their statutory entitlement and providing ECT fidelity check, ensuring schools are supported to provide ECTs with an ECF-based induction (with the exception of ECTs based at Dr Challoner’s Grammar School, where Buckinghamshire Council will act independently).
- Buckinghamshire Council will act independently when undertaking the duty of:
- Monitoring of Assessment – making the decisions regarding whether or not the ECT has met the Teachers’ Standards, based on the headteachers recommendation.
ECT Induction Information
The following links have updated information for ECT induction:
- Early Career Framework (gov.uk)
- Early career framework reforms (gov.uk)
- Induction for Early Career Teachers (gov.uk)
- Reforms to Teacher Development (gov.uk)
- Initial teacher training (ITT): criteria and supporting advice(gov.uk)
Buckinghamshire Council Contact Details
For information on Buckinghamshire Council Appropriate Body Services, please contact Hazel David on ECT@buckinghamshire.gov.uk
Please click here for the Department for Education revised statutory guidance for Early Career Teachers (England).
- Progress Review and Formal Assessment Deadline Dates (2021/2022):
- Progress Review 1 - 7th December 2021
- Progress Review 2 - 30th March 2022
- Formal Assessment 1 - 11th July 2022
Handbook and Resources
Please click here for links to the following resources which can be used for Buckinghamshire Council ECTs:
- Lesson Observation Form
- ECT Meeting Record Sheet
- Teacher Standards Evidence Form
- Request to Reduce ECT Induction Policy
- Request to Reduce ECT Induction Form
Please click below for a link to the Astra/Buckinghamshire Council Appropriate Body Newsletters