Optional Moderation Visits
To further support teachers making assessment judgements at the end of key stages 1 and 2, the LA are also offering optional moderation visits.
The purpose of optional moderation visits is to support teachers who are making judgements using the national Teacher Assessment Framework and associated standards. Schools will be able to work with a fully trained moderator(s), who will support a professional discussion relating the evidence that teachers present, to national standards. It is anticipated that this offer will be helpful in supporting schools to reflect upon the impact of learning throughout this year. These visits do not form part of the statutory assessment cycle and there will be no LA follow-up from the visits or forms completed.
The benefits of opting for a visit are that they:
- Are collaborative: schools working with moderators will shape the visit
- Can support teachers who are new to year 2 or year 6 or those who have not been moderated for a while
- Help schools feel confident that their assessment is consistent and in line with national standards
- Help teachers identify gaps in learning
- Provide CPD opportunities through professional discussion with a qualified moderator
- Help teachers remain skilled in using and apply statutory assessment tools
The charge for optional moderation visits (up to half a day) will be:
- £150 for schools moderating a single class
- £250 for schools moderating two classes
Key stage 2 moderators are available to support the moderation of writing. Key stage 1 moderators are able to moderate reading, writing and maths. Schools will need to decide which subject(s) and which pupils, they wish to prioritise.
If you would like to request an optional visit please open the booking form link, complete and send completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17th May with the following information:
- Which key stage(s) you would like to request a moderation visit for
- Number of classes to be moderated
- Which subjects (reading, writing, maths) you would like to focus on (KS1 only)
Your request will be allocated to a moderator who will contact you to arrange a suitable date. Visits will take place on a mutually convenient date for both the moderator(s) and the school, between the 8th June and the 9th July. Slots will be limited to moderator availability so will be allocated on a ‘first come, first served’ basis.