Governance - Side by Side
Governance of Side by Side
Governance of the Side by Side School Improvement model is through the Side by Side Board. This is a strategic group of educational partners from across education sectors and geographical areas of Buckinghamshire. The School Leaders group is made up of representatives from all age phases, regions, sectors, selective and non-selective schools, academies and maintained schools.
To raise the achievement of all pupils regardless of their starting point.
- To develop a sustainable school-led system to improve outcomes for all pupils across Buckinghamshire.
- To champion a collective ambition to improve.
- To build collaborative networks that balance autonomy and accountability.
- To deliver strategic oversight of the Side by Side strategy, annual plans and budget.
- To scrutinise and quality assure Side by Side deployments against intended outcomes.
- To support the engagement of the Buckinghamshire school community in Side by Side.
- To deliver strategic oversight of governance across Buckinghamshire.
- To provide strategic input into forward planning for Side by Side.
- To provide strategic input into closing the gap.
- To oversee identified workstreams.
- To share and gather intelligence in order to support and progress the partnership.
- To identify barriers to success so as to monitor and mitigate risks and related issues.
- To evaluate priorities and set new ones where appropriate.
- To evaluate evidence and impact of the partnership.
- To assess options to secure the future sustainability of the delivery model.
Frequency of Meetings & Reporting
The Side by Side Reference Group will meet half termly, with scheduled dates published for the academic year.
A quorum is required in order for the Group to proceed and undertake its decision making responsibilities.
Buckinghamshire Council Representatives:
- Strategic Director, Education
- Head of Achievement and Learning
- Equalities and School Improvement Manager
- Head of Early Years
- Primary School Improvement Advisor
- Secondary School Improvement Advisor
Primary Representatives – 4 Headteacher representatives (LA and MAT representation).
Secondary Representatives – 4 Headteacher representatives (LA and MAT representation).
Special School & PRU Representatives.
Hub Representatives – CEO – Buckinghamshire Teaching School Hub, Principle – Buckinghamshire Behaviour Hub, Executive Headteacher – Buckinghamshire Maths Hub.
Governor Representatives – 1 X Primary Governor, 1 x Secondary Governor, 1 X BASG Chair.
Early Years Representatives – 2 Setting Leader Representatives.
The Board will be jointly chaired by both the Strategic Director, Education at Buckinghamshire Council and a School Representative.
The School Representative will be decided in the first meeting of each academic year.
Term of Office
The term of office for a school/sector representative will be 3 years.
Elections will be held annually for any vacancies in the Summer term. All Headteachers/Leaders will be invited to apply, and elections will be held virtually.