Supporting Disadvantaged Children Workshop Dec 20
Supporting Disadvantaged Children Workshop
"The workshop this afternoon was in my opinion excellent, very worthwhile attending, thank you to everyone."
"The presentations of both speakers has inspired me to look closer at the subject of unconscious bias in my own world, society, and schools, I will certainly be raising this issue around the governing body table."
Friday the 11th of December 2020 saw the first workshop in this project focusing on developing and sustaining a culture that is actively supportive of disadvantaged children and the many ways that this can impact on educational attainment.
The workshop included a contribution from Marc Rowland who has worked with many local authorities and the Education Endowment Foundation to support the attainment of disadvantaged children, as well as Sarah Soyei from Equaliteach who has worked extensively across Bucks schools on related issues.
Unconscious Bias Workshop
Led by Sarah Soyei (EqualiTech)
- Develop an understanding of why and how unconscious bias operates
- Explore how implicit discrimination can manifest through biases, micro aggressions, and exclusion and how these can be challenged
- Consider what is meant by culture and how to develop cultural awareness
- Action plan steps to overcome bias and create cultural intelligence in their practice
- At the end of the training, participants will be provided with a mini-audit and a reflective checklist to go away and evaluate the work in their schools and identify good practices in areas that could be improved.
Building our Understanding on Academic Research
Led by Marc Rowland