Coronavirus (COVID-19)

SchoolsWeb

SACRE meeting June 2020

SACRE meeting June 2020

Minutes of the SACRE meeting held on

Virtual meeting held 10th June 2020

Present:

  • David Liddle
  • David Watson
  • Frankie Fisher
  • Tim Harper
  • Zahid Jawed
  • Elaine Lever
  • Anita Cramer
  • Karen Crussell
  • Anne Andrew
  • Gerald Knight
  • Ann Beaton
  • Marjorie Johnstone
  • Sue Bowen
  • Ralph Bagge

Apologies:

  • Steve Terry
  • Mary Saywood

In attendance

  • Katherine Wells
  • Bill Moore

Minutes of February 2020 meeting agreed

Matters Arising

Membership – Hindu member interested in joining.  Contact for possible Jewish member.  Bill and Margaret will be meeting with them to discuss.  Sikh representation is also being sought.

Strategic Plan – no responses received by BM.  If anyone has any comments, please raise with BM

School Visits – Clarification that the purpose of the visits is for SACRE members to get into schools and observe and share good practice, rather than evaluate lessons.  We do not really need a report following the visit, verbal feedback to a SACRE meeting will be sufficient with thank you letters.  AA – standardised questions could be asked (fact finding rather than monitoring).  DL and KC – schools are subject to sufficient monitoring, an observation and information gathering would be preferable.  DW- wouldn’t be adverse to light touch monitoring.  AC – we are facing a very difficult year for all teaching staff, so the focus must be on encouragement and shared learning for this next year.  TH – noted the level of exhaustion amongst teaching staff.  RB agreed. 

BM will feed back to MS

Monitoring Working Group

BM works for two other SACREs, very useful to compare how the different SACRE works.  We can collectively review a number of school websites to review their RE provision - fill out a template to record RE provision across Buckinghamshire.  To look at RE and Collective Worship.  Need to be particularly aware of the schools that conflate the two. 6 schools per member of SACRE

  • AA and BM to develop a template
  • KW to provide a list of all schools across Buckinghamshire (without VA schools)
  • BM to set up a monitoring group (BM, AA and AB)

Faith Groups Working Group

Ofsted – schools need to have a sequential, knowledge-building curriculum.  Teachers are telling us that they need help developing their RE knowledge. 

Idea – to develop conceptual frameworks so that teachers can get an understanding of faith and belief, and consolidate common threads/building blocks of knowledge to help schools develop a sequential curriculum

DL – very useful for primary schools teachers who need to teach all the subjects.

AA – RE online are already putting together essays on each faith, useful to use as a basis

BM said he would draw something together for next meeting

SACRED Working Group

Jan- Easter next year is the target for the next edition; Reflections on living your faith and belief during COVID-19 lockdown.  What we learnt about our faith and what we learnt about ourselves.  Things that have changed as a result of the lockdown that we want to keep.

DW – Christian groups are finding a collective spiritual awakening and participation in church services has increased as the services have moved online

AB – agreed, better for elderly worshipers

TH – interview in today’s Times – a very valuable spiritual tool to allow new participants to ‘look in’ virtually

ZJ – allowed for more reflection over Eid

Agreed Syllabus Conference

Present:

  • David Liddle
  • David Watson
  • Frankie Fisher
  • Tim Harper
  • Zahid Jawed
  • Elaine Lever
  • Anita Cramer
  • Karen Crussell
  • Anne Andrew
  • Gerald Knight
  • Ann Beaton
  • Marjorie Johnstone
  • Sue Bowen
  • Ralph Bagge

Apologies:

  • Steve
  • Mary Saywood

In attendance

  • Katherine Wells
  • Bill Moore

BM shared a presentation on a Review of the Agreed Syllabus (attached) from the survey monkey research and the focus groups with RE Leads (primary and secondary)

KC – are we going to be guided into what world views schools should include? – BM – agreed that we should have options

DL – Giving permission for teachers to discuss certain areas (which might be contentious) to stretch pupils’ minds, would give them confidence

MD – Learning about and learning from – are we keeping these? – BM – we don’t want to lose this, need to see how we can incorporate and preserve this in the new AS

AA – often teachers will focus on learning from at the expense of learning about, which comes about because of a lack of knowledge.  Moving away from this language is important so that teachers understand that the two are so integrated

FF – key word is engagement (for both pupil and teacher)

Impact of COVID-19 on Agreed Syllabus Timeline

Schools and Headteachers have a lot on their plate at the moment.  Impossible at the moment to get a working party together.  Involving teachers in the development of the AS will not be realistic.  BM proposes that we recommend to the LA that we extend the life of the AS for 12 months to September 2022-2027.  All members agreed.

  • MD to write a letter to Simon James to inform him of decision of SACRE to postpone the new syllabus for one full year

In the meantime, we can

  • involve teachers virtually – in developing schemas (Faith Working Group), but being extremely mindful of teachers’ workloads
  • Looking at annotations on current AS
  • SACRE members to send comments and suggestion on current AS

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Poor
Neither good nor poor
Good
Very good