Buckinghamshire Council will continue to take an active interest in the quality of governance in maintained schools, by promoting and supporting high standards of governance. To do so, Buckinghamshire Council will:
- be the champion of high quality school governance;
- help to ensure that governors have access to support and training in order to develop the right skills to execute their role;
- implement appropriate monitoring arrangements to identify signs of failure in relation to governors’ oversight of finance, safety or performance standards.
The statutory elements of School Governance provision that Buckinghamshire Council will be providing for the new academic year 2020 - 21 are:
- Approve LA governor appointments in maintained schools
- Oversee the appointment of Parent Governor representatives to LA committees
- Checking instruments of governance (compliance) for maintained schools
- Establish IEBs and shadow governing bodies in maintained schools and intervene where appropriate in cases of under performance
- Scheduling and organising key meetings such as Children’s Services Education briefings and the Governance Consultative Board
- Maintaining Governor Zone on Schools Web and publishing Governor Times
- Oversee administrative changes to school status
- Maintaining and developing an accurate database of Chairs of Governors
- Provide access/signposting to high quality training - see the Governor training page
- Provision of mandatory information such as policy updates and model documents
Government Guidance on finding Volunteers to become School Governors / Trustees
The Inspiring Governance online service connects schools and trusts with skilled volunteers in their area who are interested in becoming a school governor or trustee.
These sessions are free and are open to any members of your governing board.
The training will be online via MS Teams, starting at 6.30pm and will last for approximately one hour.
Briefings - Corporate Director (DCS) Briefings:
All sessions will be conducted on MS Teams. All attendees must register prior to the training and will be asked to provide their name, role and email address upon booking. Any applicants from non-Buckinghamshire schools will be removed from the training and will not receive documentation.
12th January (pm)
13th January (am)
The links to the sessions will be sent to all registered prior to the briefings.