The Local Authority actively promotes and supports high standards of governance in Buckinghamshire schools. To do so, Buckinghamshire Council will:
- Be the champion of high-quality school governance;
- Help to ensure that governors have access to support and training in order to develop the right skills to execute their role; and
- Implement appropriate monitoring arrangements to identify signs of failure in relation to governors’ oversight of finance, safety or performance standards in maintained schools.
Buckinghamshire Council has a statutory duty to provide the following elements of school governance in the academic year 2022-23:
- Approve Local Authority governor appointments in maintained schools
- Checking instruments of governance (compliance) for maintained schools Oversee the appointment of Parent Governor representatives to Local Authority committees
- Establish Interim Executive Boards and shadow governing bodies in maintained schools and intervene where appropriate in cases of under performance
- Oversee administrative changes to school status
- Maintain a database of Chairs of Governors
- Provide access/signposting to high quality training
- Provide mandatory information such as policy updates and model documents
In addition to its statutory duties, Buckinghamshire Council will offer additional support for school governance during the academic year 2022-23. Some additional support will be freely provided and some will be offered as a traded service branded as BESST – Buckinghamshire Education School Support and Training. Additional services will include:
- Scheduling and organising key meetings such as Corporate Director (DCS) briefings, termly governor priorities briefings and the Governance Consultative Board
- Memberships to digital tools and external online resources
- High quality training for governors delivered by local experts
- Partnership working with the Bucks Association of School Governors
Government Guidance on finding Volunteers to become School Governors / Trustees
The Inspiring Governance online service connects schools and trusts with skilled volunteers in their area who are interested in becoming a school governor or trustee.
BESST Training sessions for governors are delivered by Buckinghamshire experts and can be purchased on a pay as you go basis or as a package deal.
The training will be online via MS Teams, starting at 6.30pm and will last for approximately one hour.
Briefings - Corporate Director (DCS) Briefings:
All sessions will be conducted on MS Teams. All attendees must register prior to the training and will be asked to provide their name, role and email address upon booking. Any applicants from non-Buckinghamshire schools will be removed from the training and will not receive documentation.
7th September 2022 (pm)
9th September 2022 (am)
The links to the sessions will be sent to all registered prior to the briefings.