Serious Incident Actions
Serious Incident Action Card for group leader
- Summon emergency services if appropriate
- Provide first aid / prevent further injury
- Account for all party members including staff
- Delegate a responsible adult to take care of uninjured members of the party
- Instruct no-one to talk to media and secure inappropriate use of mobile phones, email and social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter etc)
- Activate the emergency procedures by calling
01183 589332 (+441183 589332 if calling from abroad)
(This is the Bucks Fire and Rescue Control Room number) YOU MUST REQUEST THAT THE BUCKINGHAMSHIRE COUNCIL’S DUTY RESILIENCE OFFICER IS PAGED. If unsuccessful call 07738 501 318 (BC Resilience team back-up phone).
Be prepared to provide the following information which will be passed to the duty Resilience Office for Buckinghamshire Council by Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service.
- The complete telephone number which we can call you on (including national /area codes etc)
- your name
- the name of your school /party
- the nature of the emergency
Ensure you leave this information before any further discussion takes place, in case you are cut off.
If possible, also provide:
- your location
- further details of the nature of the incident
- any other contact numbers that can be used
In order that you can be contactable at all times and to enable you to lead and coordinate all necessary actions you should delegate party leadership to the Deputy Leader.
A copy of the Incident Record sheet can be used to note down the information Record:
- further and full details of the incident, how and why it happened so far as can be established at this stage
- all action taken and conversations held
You should not make any public statements about the incident without prior agreement of a statement with the Council’s Incident Control Team.
Ask those in the group to write individual statements of what they saw / heard in relation to the incident.Policy and Guidance on Educational Visits
Depending on the circumstances some or all of the following actions may be required:
- Retain all equipment involved in an accident or incident in an unaltered condition - unless it is required by the police
- Begin to make appropriate arrangements for those not injured to return home immediately
- Arrange any support for the staff and injured in hospital
- Obtain necessary documentation from the medical authorities e.g. death certificates, medical certificates indicating how injured may travel home, and case histories including x-rays
- Retain receipts for all expenditure connected with the incident.