Coronavirus (COVID-19)


Information for academies

Information for academies

Section 128

Checks for proprietor governors in academies and free schools

Section 128 of the Education and Skills Act 2008 prohibits unsuitable staff and proprietors from “taking part in the management of an Independent School.” 

For this legislation, academies and free schools are now included in the definition of an independent school.

Section 128 Barring Direction Checks for Governors 

Chair of trustees - academy trusts

Identity verification form for the chair of trustees – academy trusts (including chairs of multi-academy trusts), free schools and independent schools only

Every new chair of trustees must now complete an Identity Verification form following the Department for Education (DfE) requirements.  This is in addition to the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check which is still required.

Identity Verification Form for a new chair of trustees

Teaching Regulation Agency Checks on Teaching Assistants and Higher Level Teaching Assistants

Prohibition order checks for TAs/ HLTAs undertaking teaching work are required. A record of each check made should be recorded on the Single Central Record.

Where an individual is prohibited, their details will appear on the Prohibited List which is administered by the NCTL and can be accessed through the Employer Access online System (now Teacher Services)

Prohibition orders
Prohibition orders for teaching assistants and higher level teaching assistants
How to process a Prohibition Order

Single Central Record guidance 

It is a statutory requirement (Keeping Children Safe in Education, Paragraph 148) for all schools and academies to keep and maintain a single central record (SCR) of recruitment and vetting checks for their whole workforce.

This includes:

  • volunteers
  • supply staff
  • teacher trainees on salaried routes


Academies will also need to keep the same information for all members of the proprietor body. MATs must maintain the SCR detailing and checks carried out in each academy within the MAT. Whilst there is no requirement for the MAT to maintain an individual record for each academy, information needs to be recorded in a way that it can be provided separately. KCSIE paragraph 153.

Every academy in a MAT needs to maintain an SCR. Where the MAT employs staff who are not assigned to an individual academy, those employees must be recorded on an SCR for the MAT, along with all others employed by the MAT and its trustees.

Where teaching staff work in more than one academy across the MAT, they should be recorded on the SCR for one academy. This should be the academy where they spend the most teaching time or the one against which they are recorded for pay and other purposes.

For other academies where the member of staff operations, there should be a reference on the SCR to the fact that their record is held at ‘XX academy’.

Was this page helpful?

Very poor
Neither good nor poor
Very good