DBS Update Service
DBS Update Service
The DBS Update Service enables employers and employees, including volunteers, to use one DBS certificate across different organisations.
Carrying out a DBS update service check
Where an individual has subscribed to the Update Service, you will be able to carry out a free online check to view the status of an existing DBS certificate where:
- the employer has the individual's consent
- the employer could legally request a new DBS check for the role they are applying for
- the DBS certificate is for the same workforce, type and level of criminal record check that is required for a job role
You will need to:
- see the applicant’s original DBS certificate to confirm it has been issued at the correct level and workforce for the role
- carry out the online Update Service check
Outcomes of a DBS update service check
When you have completed the check, you will receive one of three outcomes.
1. This certificate did not reveal any information and remains current as no further information has been identified since its issue.
This means the certificate contains no criminal or barring information and no new information is available.
Save the outcome of the Status Check and record on your school’s Single Central Record and send a copy of the outcome to HR Operations
2. This certificate remains current as no further information has been identified since its issue.
This means that the certificate contains criminal or barring information which is up to date.
You will need to discuss the criminal information on the original DBS certificate with the applicant. A clearance decision should be made by Headteacher following any discussions, as appropriate, with the HR Safeguarding in Employment Team.
3. This certificate is no longer current. Please apply for a new DBS check to get the most up to date information.
This means that the certificate should not be relied upon as new information is now available which is not shown on the original DBS certificate.
You will need to request a new DBS check and request sight of the new certificate once received by the applicant.
Once the new DBS certificate is available you should request sight of the new original certificate and discuss with the applicant the nature of the new criminal information and assess the level of risk the new information represents.
Requesting an early confirmation check
To confirm that an applicant is not on a barred list, you can request an early confirmation check.
Consider if any additional safeguarding action is required, for example a risk assessment, until you are able to confirm the nature of any new information.
Contact the HR Safeguarding in Employment Team for further information or advice.
HR Safeguarding in Employment Team
Visit the gov.uk website to view further information on the DBS Update Service.