Health and Safety legislation requires all schools/academy Headteachers/Governing Bodies to ensure that they have access to competent health and safety advice.
Our Health and Safety Team provide a comprehensive advice and support service to help you to fulfil your legal duties in relation to health and safety matters. The team has wide experience of dealing with health and safety in all types of schools including the provision of health and safety information and training, accident investigation and auditing.
The service to academies is provided by professionally qualified, dedicated Health and Safety Advisers with many years of experience in supporting schools to manage health and safety in their establishments. All advice and information is tailored to meet the needs of the school environment and will be practical, sensible and proportionate.
The Health and Safety Core Package
In addition to on site advice and support, you will also be provided:• Access to BCC Health and Safety Policies and Procedures and other health and safety information tailored to meet the needs of schools.
• Health and safety telephone and email advice and support during standard working hours via the HR Service Desk.
• Use of web based reporting system for recording accidents, incidents and near misses
• Investigation of serious accidents/incidents or those resulting in an insurance claim. Assistance and advice with investigating less serious accidents/incidents and advice on accident reporting legal compliance.
•Use of a web based system for online display screen risk assessment and training and follow up advice.
• A Health and Safety Audit every 3 years or sooner if audit is judged to be ‘cause for concern’ or ‘requires improvement’
• Health and safety post audit visit, for academy schools judged to be ‘cause for concern’ or ‘requires improvement’
• Use of the Annual Health and Safety Compliance check (self audit) and follow up advice where appropriate.
• Informal health and safety ‘Check and Chat’ visits for new Headteachers and/or Business Managers.
• Access to a comprehensive Health and Safety Learning Programme with priority booking (over external candidates).
• Provision of generic risk assessments and advice on risk assessment.
• Advice on health and safety planning and monitoring.
The Health and Safety Radiation Protection Advice package provides an annual service for Academies with radioactive sources. This includes
• Annual retainer of a Radiation Protection Adviser (statutory appointment for schools where radioactive sources are held)
• Provision of radiation protection advice including annual audit visit and phone advice which will enable the academy to fulfil the requirements of the Ionising Radiation Regulations
For advice that is exempt from featured support listed above in the standard package, our consultancy service can be purchased on a ‘pay as used’ basis.
For example: testing of environmental conditions e.g. noise, light, air quality, temperature, humidity and dust can be arranged either by a member of the Health and Safety Team or through a consultant at a charge.
Please contact the Health and Safety Team for more information.