Logo Block
MegaMenu Block
Breadcrumb Block

Income provider guidance

Content Body Block

Income provider guidance

This information is for Non Cheque Book Schools

What you need to do

  • Your Income Provider will help you to set up the BCC Receipts Account in your system and advise you how to link products to that account.

Payment products should be set up in the same way on your system, if the income from the product is budget share income the product must be linked to the County’s receipts account. This includes income for School Meals, School Trips/Activities, Lettings, Before and After Schools Clubs, Sales, Exam Fees, Music Lessons, etc.

  • Any non-budget share income does not have to be paid into the BCC receipts account and can be linked to PTA or a separate School Fund Account. Examples of this type of income includes sale of 2nd hand uniform, charitable income and donations.
  • To identify the payments for your School received into our Receipts Account it is important to ensure your DFE number will appear as a reference. Your Income Provider will be able to advise how this can be done on your system.
  • To ensure the Accounts Receivable Team can allocate income to the correct code in your school budget you should link payment items to a relevant GL code, this should appear as a reference with your DFE number on our bank statement.
  • If no GL code is identified it will be allocated to the Temporary School Income code GL943750. It will be the schools’ responsibility to journal the income from GL943750 to the correct income code (e.g. meals, school trips etc). The Temporary School Income code GL943750 should be reconciled monthly within school to ensure there is a nil balance. Please journal using Eform Journal BSAD
  • Income allocated to your school budget will appear on the following months reconciliation file.
  • You can reconcile your payments to the report you receive on your Income provider system.

Further Action to take

  • Payments are normally received as net income with transaction charges and VAT deducted. To account for transaction charges we recommend you journal charges to GL588010, your income codes will then show as gross income.  A report in your system will identify your transaction charges. Please journal using the Eform Journal BSAD.  Credit the relevant income code and Debit GL588010.
  • We have explored all options on how to recover VAT on transaction charges when the payment is received in our bank account but we are unable to do so for some Income Providers.

If you wish the School Funding & Accountancy Support Team to recover VAT on your behalf please raise a request via Supportworks schoolfinance@buckscc.gov.uk and complete the recover VAT template.

To avoid a number of journals being processed and additional costs incurred we advise raising two requests per year. One claim  by 31st October for the previous period April to September and the second claim in March for the previous period October to March (the March date will appear on the year end timetable).

As above you will need to have already journaled your transaction charges to GL588010 and you will need to input the Eform ID number on the request.

Your request needs to include the total cost of your transaction charges with applicable VAT. Attach the completed template to your email. You will need to produce VAT invoices as evidence if required by HMRC or County. 

As each journal will incur a charge a 10 credit deduction from a finance package you will need to consider if it is cost effective for the amount of VAT you wish to recover. Previously VAT was unrecoverable on payments made into School Fund accounts.

What you no longer need to do

  • As income will now be paid directly into school budget, schools will no longer have to record income on FMS and create a Receipt Authorisation Control List (RACL).
  • You will no longer have to visit a bank to pay in a cheque from your School Fund account into school budget or arrange to do regular bank transfer from one account to another.
  • Income will be allocated to your school budget in the month it is received into the BCC Receipts Account. This will give a clearer indication of your budget position to date improving monitoring and forecasting prediction.
  • As there will be reduced income into your School Fund account and turnover is likely to be less than £5k it will no longer need to be registered as a Charity thus reducing additional administration tasks.


(Eg if a trip is cancelled) the school should be able to refund against each pupil and credit the funds back to the ‘Parent Account’. This can either be requested as a withdrawal or transferred to another payment item.

The refund amount is shown as negative amount against the school’s payment item on the next settlement. Please contact your income provider to confirm their process. 

Childcare Vouchers

Childcare vouchers for before & after school clubs can be accepted on you system. Please see following guidelines however the process may differ depending on the Childcare Provider and you Income Provider, please check.

  • The parent can use their vouchers to make a payment on their childcare voucher company website by selecting their school.
  • The school needs to set up the BCC receipts account with the company asking for their DFE number and GL943010 to be quoted as reference.
  • When the parent makes a payment a remittance will be sent to the school and the payment is received into BCC receipts account.
  • The school logs onto the Income provider system (under subsidies) to record the amount has been paid by voucher.
  • If the parent pays a lump sum the school can allocate against any outstanding amounts and the balance will appear as a credit.


Foot Block
Parameters{showAZBar = True; aZListingPageNodeId = 25375; aZSiteRootNodeId = 24024}
A-Z Services