Local Area SEND Improvement Work
COVID-19 Local Area SEND Improvement Work
The Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) Code of Practice 0-25 came into force on 1st September 2014. The Code contains clauses on special education needs (SEN) that put into place wide-reaching reforms to the SEND system for children and young people aged 0 to 25 in England.
The Code of Practice applies to all organisations who work with and support children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. The Government states the principles underlying the Code and wider Reforms as follows:
- A focus on inclusive practice and removing barriers to learning.
- Successful preparation for adulthood.
- Early identification of children and young people’s needs and early interventions to support them.
- Collaboration at a local level between education, health and social care services to provide high quality support that meets the needs of children and young people with SEND
- The participation of children, their parents and young people in decision making
- Greater Choice and control for young parents over support.
- The achievement of these principles will be the focus of the Integrated Services Board.
Mechanisms to drive improvement:
- Our Self Evaluation Framework identifies our strengths and challenges;
- Our Improvement Plan details actions to address our challenges;
- Our Impact Groups drive forward the Improvement Plan actions.
Impact Groups focus on key priorities:
- SEND Operations
- Preparing for Adulthood
- SEN Support
- Quality of EHCPs
- Integrated Commissioning
- Local Offer
- Outcomes for Children and Young People
Impact Group membership is drawn from across the SEND local area including education, health and social care representatives as well as parent and carers, and other stakeholders including the voluntary sector and arrangements for the voice of children and young people to be represented. Each Impact Group drives improvement activity through individual work plans which is monitored via an overall SEND Improvement Plan that feeds into the Integrated Services Board.